Monday, January 3, 2011

Making your own Pesto

Pesto is just so simple and just so satisfying. You can make many varieties of pesto by simply changing the nuts in it, usually pine seeds (until recently I called them pine nuts but apparently since they done have a shell they can not be called a nut), walnuts, almonds, pistachios.

I usually roast the nuts slightly, but its not necessary. However, in my opinion the roasting brings out a nuttier taste. The real secret is salt, the salt will bring out that special pesto flavor so don't be shy with it. taste your way through the process.

I would like to point out that this is my mothers recipe of pesto. She was once told by an Italian that it is not really a traditional pesto. Just wanted to put it out there that I am not claiming to be making an authentic italian pesto.

This is the amount I use for 4 servings, generous servings.
2 handfuls of basil
1 handful parsley
1 dl extra virgin olive oil (my mother uses half olive oil, half sun flower oil)
2 tbsp of nuts (I usually use a mix of ; almonds, pine nuts, walnuts)
0,5 dl parmesan cheese + 0,5 dl for serving
1/2 a garlic clove
salt & pepper
pinch of dried chili - optional
squeeze of lemon juice.


  1. Begin by roasting your nuts in a dry pan, no oil needed. Keep an eye on the nuts, they take a while to develop color but once they do they burn very easily. Set them aside to cool. 
  2. If you have a food processor, then put your basil, grated parmesan, oil, garlic, salt & pepper into it. If you don't have a food processor chop your basil finely and put it in a bowl with the parmesan, oil etc. 
  3. Once the nuts have cooled, keep 1 tbsp aside. Then, chop if you don't have a food processor OR add them to the basil mix and blend. 
  4. Once blended taste, add a lemon squeeze and a pinch of chili. Add more salt or pepper if needed.



Pesto is usually served with pasta. I love to mix my pesto with shrimps fried in garlic, its such a great combo. But sometimes I serve it with chopped smoked salmon or chicken/turkey file fried in garlic. At times I have substituted the pasta for boiled potatoes, really delish.

Tip, you can preserve the pesto for about a week in the fridge if you cover the pesto with a layer of olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment