Sunday, August 14, 2011

Scrambled eggs & salmon

This dish came about when I had salmon file the night before and deliberately cut off a small bit to keep for the morning after. I am not claiming to have created a new dish, I was just curious if I could pull off making this a yummy breakfast and I did. Usually I would use smoked salmon, but using the salmon file was nice as it was not a strong or dominant as the smoked salmon can be, the chucks were smooth and soft along with the scrambled eggs. I added fried tomato only because I happened to have some very tasty cherry tomatoes that I figured would add extra juiciness to the dish, and they did.



portion for 2:

2 - 4 slices of toast-able bread
4 eggs
1 tbsp milk/unsweetened soy milk/cream
4 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
100 gram fresh salmon file
salt & pepper
1 tsp olive oil to fry the salmon in
3 drops tabasco - optional

If I had had parsley at home at the time I would have added that to the top for a final touch but I didn't. I imagine the parsley could add that tiny bit of fresh and crispness.


  1. Begin by cutting the salmon into blocks or squares. Fry the salmon, this will take very little time, make sure you have enough oil in the pan so the salmon doesn't stick to the pan and break and crumble. This should really only take about 2 min, otherwise you end up with dry over cooked salmon. Don't forget once you put this aside on a plate the salmon will still keep cooking slightly. 
  2. Set the fried salmon to the side, on a plate. Use the same pan for the scrambled eggs, if there are bits of salmon on the pan scrap them off. Add the tabasco, which is not essential but I am a huge tabasco egg combination fan. 
  3. You can either leave the tomatoes raw or fry or oven bake them. If you decide to fry them, depenidng on size, they will need approximatly 3-5min in the frying pan. If you decide to oven roast the tomatoes, again depending on size, they will need 30 min on 180 degrees. 
  4. Whisk together the 4 eggs with the milk, salt and pepper and add tabasco if you like. 
  5. Add either a small nob of butter or oil to the pan. On a medium heat add the egg mix to the pan. Stir slowly. Turn the heat down, and then up slightly and then down again, this will allow the eggs to become fluffy while you stir and juicy avoiding dry and hard scrambled eggs. This process should take about 5-6 min.
  6. Toast your slice of bread. 
  7. Divide the scrambled egg onto each toast or plate adding the tomatoes and salmon. If you have parsley add that as the finishing touch. 
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment