Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My own nut chocolate



I crave chocolate a lot, and when I crave chocolate I can and will walk miles to find the right kind, the dark, nut filled kind. I bought some dark orange flavored chocolate the other day and wished it had nuts in it too, so since I had nuts at home I gave making my own nut chocolate a try. The result was yummy! I like that my chocolate had a mix of whole nuts and seeds, giving it lots of crunch. 

To make your own nut chocolate you need: 

  • 125 gram chocolate (I used 70% dark but I do think you could go as low as 45% but not less as I think it might not get completly solid)
  • Nuts - pecan, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, macadamia, brazil, (roasted hazelnuts is highly recommended)
  • Seeds - sesame, sun flower, pumpkin
  • Paper cup cake forms - optional, you can also allow it to spread out on a sheet of baking paper, giving it more of a real "flat" chocolate bar look & feel. 
Tip* you can also add partially crumbled digestive biscuits, dried fruit (fig, apricots, mango, banana, prune etc), raisins, a pinch of dried chili flakes, pepper, salt or cinnamon, lemon or orange zest. The list can go on and on but I think you catch my drift. you can add anything that you want and crave in your chocolate. 


  1. Take a small sauce pan and fill it 1/3 with water. 
  2. Find a bowl that can fit over the pan. 
  3. Break up the chocolate into the bowl and turn on the heat, low. The chocolate will slowly begin to melt as the water in the pan under the bowl begins to boil and heat the bowl. Stir and turn off the heat once half the chocolate has melted. The rest of the chocolate will melt with the residue heat.
  4. Add the nuts, seeds (dried fruit, spices etc) and stir. 

      5. Using oven gloves/mitts take the bowl from off the top of the pan (it will be hot so watch out)
      6. Now you can either fill 3-4 paper cup cake forms (use 2-3 forms per serving, otherwise the form     
         will not hold and the contents will spill out. The second option is to spread out the chocolate nut         
         mix onto a sheet of baking paper. 
7. Now you must have restraint and allow the mix to get solid which takes about 2-4 hours, you     
           could also allow yourself some of the still melted nut chocolate so that you can calm your craving           
           while the rest gets solid.



No comments:

Post a Comment