Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Barcelona food Mecca

I recently spend the weekend in Barcelona. That city takes it's food and drink seriously. Last time I was there with my husband we had found some gem food spots along with some amazing cocktail bars. This time we returned to the same places and found more amazing places.

One of the little gems that my sister suggested we try on our first trip to Barca is a food market that has a fish bar. This place is constantly full, you literally have to wait behind the people already sitting around this bar to be sure of getting their seats when they finish. This is such a typical Spanish tapas bar serving attitude, its almost like you're hassling them by being there, ordering from them. It's not rude its just come eat, and don't expect and special treatment. Fine by me, if the food is a good as it is here. We got the mixed seafood plate. Sitting in-front of the grill we got to see the grilling action first hand. The same guy that cooked out food 2 years ago was still at the grill. He was like a nonchalant magician, bored by the magic he creates. I can't really explain more than that the guy knows exactly what he is doing and he does it in a flash.
Bascially with the sea food mix you get some vongole, 1 langoustine, a couple calamari, big shrimps and the best of it all the razor clams. These little buggers are just to die for. I had my first try of razor clams here at this bar 2 years ago and this time around they were just as tasty. All these beautiful sea foods re piled ontop of each other and then drizzled with a kind of butter/olive oil, parsley garlic sauce which is just divine in itself, mixed with the sea food juices just improves it further and you can just eat that with the bread served on the side. Makes my mouth water just thinking of it.

 Another gem that we feel in-love with last we visited Barca was off the beaten tourist track is a well kept secret high cuisine tapas bar. This place is where chefs come for inspiration and why not when you get served canapes with smoked salmon, truffle honey, worcester sauce, sitting on-top of a thick yoghurt/creme fraiche under a crisp canapĂ© bun. Heavenly.
Or how about sweet marinated and peeled smokey paprika topped with garlic marinated shrimp topped with caviar! Such amazing fantasy the owner has, blew my mind, once again.

Alas we did not bring our camera with us into the 2 Michelin star restaurants we visited for on my Husbands birthday. But I can tell you this, it was well worth the money. I would do it again any day. Just such beautiful, delicate, precis, ballsy pieces of art. Absolute taste bombs.

If you go to Barcelona, I have our list of restaurants, wine, cocktail and tapas bars, including the above. I am happy to share the list if you wish.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to get the places addresses Steph! It looks amazing so I can imagine it does taste amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I would love to visit these little gems that you visited! I am going to Barcelona in 2 days and would appreciate if you could forward these restaurant names and perhaps address if you have it (it's fine if you don't!) to me at your earliest convenience!

    ReplyDelete