Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My favorite easy soup


Here is my favorite soup to make. Its easy and quick to make and is deeply satisfying. All you need for about 5 bowls of soup is:

2dl red lentils
1 leek
3 large potatoes or 5 small (sometimes I skip the potatoes, it doesn't get as filling but its works)
1cm grated or chopped fresh ginger
1/2 fresh chili or ground/flaked dried chili
1 tsp curry
1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used safflower oil)
1 liter water (more can be added to make a thinner soup, I like mine thick)
Squeeze of lemon juice
1 stock cube (veggie, chicken)
salt&pepper



1. Begin by rinsing your lentils, this is important, as you will see the water coming off the lentils is very bubbly and unclear.
2. Skin and chop your potatoes + the leek + fresh chili + skin the ginger and chop/grate it.
3. Fry the potato, leek, ginger, chill and curry in the oil till they are shinny and the leek has become soft.
4. Add the rinsed lentils + water + stock + salt & pepper
5. allow this to boil, then bring to a simmer. Allow to cook for 30min-50min.

Enjoy with a slice of fresh bread dipped in extra virgin olive oil.
I hope you like it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment