Sunday, December 19, 2010

My grandmothers Christmas season cake



I love this cake, its soft, moist and laced with my favorite spices, cinnamon, cardamon and carnation. I remember my mother making this cake when we lived in Istanbul, Turkey, and to me the smells were intoxicating. The smells reminded me of Sweden, of pepperkakor (gingerbread), and that is the name of this cake, a soft gingerbread cake. The recipe I have for this cake is hand written, its ripped and wrinkled and undoubtedly written by my grandmother.




our cat Saffi was intrigued by the smells of the cake spices

I know that the rule for baking is not to mess with the quantities and ingredients, but I can't help myself, I am not good at following recipes. This has led to some disasters and some triumphs, I used half sugar and half agave nectar for this recipe, I think it worked, as long as you whisk your eggs with the sugar and agave till they are thick and fluffy, this takes longer with agave.

Pre heat your over to 175-200 degrees celsius.
2 eggs
2 dl sugar (I used 1 dl brown sugar and 1 dl agave)
100gr melted butter
1,5 dl cream, yoghurt or sour cream, creme fraiche (I usually use sour cream it adds a slight tartness that I find refreshing with these over powering spices)
2 tsp cinnamon
0,5 tsp ground carnation (important)
1,5 tsp cardamon
3 dl unbleached white flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt (brightens all the flavors)

Whip the eggs and sugar till fluffy and thick. 


Add melted cooled butter and cream/yoghurt/sour cream/creme fraiche to the egg mix. Blend all the dry ingredients together and then add to the egg mix. 

Grease and flour your cake form (sometimes I use poppyseeds, bread crumbs or finely chopped sunflower seeds or hazelnuts to line the cake form just to add more crispness and texture). The cake should be done within 30-35 minutes. For the patient the cake is best served the day after. 
In my grandmothers recipe she writes you can freeze the cake, I have never tried but if she says its possible I am not going to question. 

Merry Christmas!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment