Monday, August 13, 2012

Smoothies & Juices

Strawberry, banana, mint, ginger, apple juice

This is how I like to start my mornings lately with a big glass of blended fruits and juice. All you need is a blender and some fruits, yoghurt or alternatively soy or other nut milk or even apple, pear or mixed fruit juice. Blend, e voila!
Blueberry, banana, apple, soymilk

As I recently learned the high nutritional value of bee pollen (yellow pearls), chia seeds (grey poppy-like seeds) and hemp seeds (white/green seeds) I add them just for the added pleasure of knowing I am feeding my body the best it can get. These seeds are so called super raw foods, full of good minerals, amino acids etc. If you're a vegetarian then these are highly recommend.
I also love to add fresh ginger as it adds some spiciness that helps me wake up and feel fresh. Ginger is also another super healthy vegetable, read more here.
Sometimes I also add some muesli to add a lasting fullness.
I sometimes make this as a midday snack and even in evenings as a dessert.



Here are some various mixes that I usually blend, but basically all fruits are possible, just depends on what you like. I always add half a banana as it adds sweetness & creaminess. 

*Tip, using frozen fruits gives a thickness to the smoothies & juices that I like. It also gives you a cold rather than luke warm drinks. The best part about using frozen fruit is that you can keep the ingredients for much longer. I cut a banana in 4-5 parts and freeze it, that way I don't end up halfway through the week with brown bananas. I have done the same with fresh strawberries, so that they don't end up over ripe and mushy.

for 1 serving:
1/2 banana
1 dl frozen berries - blue berries / raspberries / black berries / strawberries
Optional: 1-3 cm fresh ginger, make sure you peel off the outer skin
1/2 dl juice** - apple, pear, orange, mango, or mixed fruits juice
1/2 dl yoghurt*** - soy milk or other nuts milk
Optional: 1/2-1 tbsp honey/ maple syrup / agave syrup (I never add any additional sweetener but some like it sweeter and then this is an option - sugar will not do)

Place all in a blender and whizz. Pour in a large glass, lean back and enjoy.

**Make sure that you use fresh juices, not from concentrates otherwise you loose half of the nutritional value.

***You can also skip the yoghurt/milk and instead use only juice or the other way around, skip the juice and use only yoghurt/milk.



No comments:

Post a Comment