Sunday, December 12, 2010

Breakfast for kings


Hi,

This is my first post!! Very exciting. I cant wait to share this first recipe that was a complete fluke but oh so very delectable.

Lucky for me, we had our friends Rachel & Sam over last night, they made us a delicious dessert that was accompanied by a heavenly whipped cream blended with a home made vanilla pod, tangerine rind syrup, yes it was insanely yummy. Luckily we didn't devour all of this heavenly whipped cream concoction and the next morning, after I had considered using the cream for a chocolate mousse, but then realizing dinner and dessert was many hours away, I decided to use it for swedish pancakes. I knew I wanted some sort of jam or fruit compote to accompany the cream in the pancakes, thawed frozen raspberries folded through the cream was the perfect (sigh) perfect combination. In my books this breakfast recipe should be used for special occasions; birthdays, anniversaries, promotions, or when your in the mood for a breakfast worthy of kings.

give it a go, its simple and will surely impress!

Sam's Vanilla, tangerine syrup
1 vanilla bean
2 tbsp super (I only had brown)
4 tbsp water
rind of 1 tangerine (I always wash my fruit before eating, especially if the skin in this case the rind is to be eaten)
Juice from half the tangerine

Put the water and sugar in your pan along with the vanilla bean, slowly let it simmer. When the vanilla bean has become softened take it out, slice it diagonally and scrap the inside of the bean with the back of a knife, add the vanilla seeds and the vanilla bean to into the sugar water. Once it has become 'glassy'/shiny you add the tangerine rind and the juice, let this simmer/bubble a bit till the syrup has become thick almost sticky as honey then remove the pan from the heat.

*Little tip, if you have a thick bottom pan use it for this or any syrup, less likely it will burn.

Swedish pancakes (very crepe like) makes 8-10
2 1/2 dl flower ( I used unbleached white bio flour but I think you could substitute 1/2 with whole wheat flour or buck wheat flour but not more)
6 dl Bio Milk (I used half fat)
3 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tbsp butter (very necessary or the pancake will stick to pan, even in a none stick pan, I have tried..)

Whisk half the milk with the flour till the batter is clump free. The add the rest of the milk, eggs, salt. Melt the butter in the frying pan you will use to cook the pancakes, once melted add to the batter. Leave some of the butter grease in the pan for the first pancake. I use 1dl of batter par pancake. Depends on how thick or tin you want them but I prefer mine almost paper thin.

* Little tip, in my experience the first pancake is always a bit crap, I tend the throw it out..For this my sister would kill me, but its true the first pancake never really develops any color..maybe cause I am too impatient to let it cook longer than the rest of the pancakes. Anyhow,  let each pancake cook about 2 min on the first side while about 1 min on the other, this gives them a nice brown(ed) surface adding to their taste.

4 comments:

  1. When I was in Brazil, one of the desserts they often made was papaya creme. Papayas mixed with vanilla icecream in a blender and served like frozen custard- not hard, but still frozen. Your recipe sounds delicious. I am going to try Kumquat syrup when I go to AZ this winter as we have a Kumquat tree, (and blood orange tree and Pink Grapefruit tree)

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds divine! NZ should be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your blog! Very excited to try anything that excites you. You are the most passionate foodie i know. Lots of love. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SHAWN!!!!! miss you too, so wish we could sit down to a dinner together and chat. hope to see your guys in the New Year. xxx

    ReplyDelete